THIS COMPETITION HAS ENDED
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
THIS PAGE WAS REVISED AS OF SEPTEMBER 29, 2011
1. ENTRY AND ELIGIBILITY: Open to students (prior to panel judging, each student entrant may be required to prove current, valid enrollment in a college or university to the satisfaction of Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Proof may be shown by valid school email address, student photo ID or transcript. All decisions of Sponsor regarding eligibility are made on a case-by-case basis and are final, binding and non-appealable) and non-student individuals, in each case 18 years of age or older, regardless of state or country of residence, who are registered on www.nowness.com as of October 11, 2011 (“Deadline”), except employees of NOWNESS, LLC (“Sponsor”), its affiliates, subsidiaries and agents (collectively “Promotion Parties”), and Promotion Parties’ employees’ immediate family members or persons living in the same household. To enter, submit an original work of any static, two-dimensional visual medium (including but not limited to illustration, painting photography and digital art) in response to a work from Haruki Murakami’s oeuvre, the full list of which can be seen here: http://www.randomhouse.com/features/murakami/site.php, to NOWNESS.com anytime between 12:00am EST on September 27, 2011 and 11:59pm EST on October 11, 2011. See http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/9/27 for submission instructions and work specifications. No entry will be permitted which, in the sole judgment of Sponsor, is inappropriate or violates any of the specifications or rules pertaining to this competition. Use of any robotic, automatic, programmed or similar entry method or more than one entry per person, household or email address will void all entries and result in disqualification. Competition subject to all applicable laws. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. USER VOTING: From all eligible student and non-student entries, NOWNESS.com users will be able to vote for their favorite works between 12:00am EST on October 12, 2011 and 11:59pm EST on October 18, 2011. Users may not vote more than once for the same work. The winners will be notified via email and featured in a story on NOWNESS.com on October 25, 2011.
3. STUDENT ENTRIES – PANEL JUDGING: In addition to the popular vote, a NOWNESS.com panel of judges will choose one (1) entry from all eligible student entries based on originality, creativity, artistic merit, overall impact and technical excellence. The student winner will be notified via email and featured in a story on NOWNESS.com on October 25, 2011.
4. POPULAR VOTE PRIZES: The six (6) eligible entrants whose works receive the most votes within the voting period will each receive a complete library of Haruki Murakami’s oeuvre, including a signed first edition of 1Q84.
Each winner will be contacted by the NOWNESS.com editorial department for information regarding the work (e.g. what medium was used, inspiration behind the work, etc), and a story based on the works and identifying the winners will be featured on NOWNESS.com on October 25, 2011. Each prize of a Haruki Murakami boxed library and signed first edition of 1Q84 has an approximate retail value of $251.25USD. The winners may not substitute or transfer the prize. Total retail value of all popular-vote prizes: $1,507.50USD.
5. STUDENT COMMISSION AWARD: The student entrant whose work is chosen by the NOWNESS.com panel will be paid a commission in the amount of $3,000USD from NOWNESS .com to create a minimum of five (5) images for NOWNESS.com. The commission will be assigned within three (3) months of announcing the winner and all creations must be completed within one (1) month. The winner agrees the winning work and the commissioned works are and will be the sole property of NOWNESS.com. A signed rights agreement by the winner/creator will be required on a form to be provided by NOWNESS.com. Total value of student commission prize: $3,000USD.
The winning student entrant will be contacted by the NOWNESS.com editorial department for information regarding the work (e.g. what medium was used, inspiration behind the work, etc), and a story based on the work and identifying the winner will be featured on NOWNESS.com on October 25, 2011. The winner may not delegate or assign the commission or substitute or transfer the award.
6. GENERAL RULES: By entering this competition, entrants accept and agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all matters. By entering, each entrant agrees to hold Promotion Parties, their affiliates, directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of this competition. Promotion Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled or delayed electronic communications, whether caused by the sender or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this competition, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this competition. If, in Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected evidence of tampering with any portion of the promotion, or if viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical difficulties or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor compromise the security, fairness or integrity of the promotion, Sponsor reserves the right to modify or terminate the competition in a manner deemed appropriate by it, in its sole discretion. In the event a dispute arises as to the identity of a potential winner, entry will be deemed submitted by the name on the online entry form. Each winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility, publicity release and waiver of claims. Participants agree that this competition is governed solely by the laws of the
7. RIGHTS TO ALL SUBMISSIONS: By submitting a work, each entrant (a) represents that he or she meets all criteria of eligibility, has exclusive, unfettered ownership rights to the entry, and has not violated any rights of any third party in connection therewith; and (b) grants to NOWNESS, LLC a perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to publish, use and reproduce the submitted entry, along with entrant’s name and city, state and country of residence in promotions or other publications, whether online or otherwise, including but not limited to the websites of NOWNESS.com and its affiliates, Facebook and Tumblr. Nothing herein shall obligate Sponsor to publish, use or reproduce any entry.
8. WINNER’S LIST: For identity of winners, available after October 25, 2011, send a self-addressed, stamped (#10) envelope (postage may be omitted by residents of Vermont any countries required under applicable law) to: Attn: NOWNESS.com’s Haruki Murakami Design Competition, 19 East 57th Street, 19th floor, New York, New York 10022 USA. Requests must be received by November 25, 2011.
SPONSOR: NOWNESS, LLC, 19E 57th Street,